Bachelor of Arts
Relatively new but undeniably fearless, Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies examines political, social and biological issues of femininity and masculinity.
Did You Know?
- National surveys suggest that graduates in women’s studies disciplines are especially likely to possess a sense of empowerment and self-confidence; community-building skills; and comprehension of oppressive discrimination in all its forms.
Sample courses for students studying Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies include:
- Feminist Philosophy
- Transgender History, Identity and Politics
- Gender and the Politics of Health
- Gender, Power and Violence
Practical Experience & Skills
Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies (WGS) students learn theoretical approaches about feminism, masculinity, gender, sex, and sexuality in local, national and global contexts. Through their coursework, WGS students have extensive opportunities to hone their analytical, communication, and research skills.
In addition to curricular pursuits, WGS faculty, staff and students have a rich history of engagement in the intellectual, social, and extracurricular life of the Wake Forest campus and of the broader community. The WGS department offers students internship opportunities, promotes service learning and activism on behalf of women’s and gay/lesbian rights, and strives for a non-gender-biased, open-minded society.
Students in this program will develop the following skills:
- Project planning
- Gathering and organizing data
- Understanding of diversity
- Attention to detail
- Ability to summarize information
Clubs & Organizations
Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies students participate in the following clubs and organizations:
- Wake Women Lead
- LGBTQ Center
- Girl Up United Nations Foundation
- Women’s Center
- Domestic Violence Awareness Coalition
Careers that often interest Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies majors include:
- Community Center/Nonprofit Manager
- Diversity Trainer
- Employer Trainer
- Human Relations Specialist
- Human Rights Advocate
- Labor Relations Advisor
- Policy Advocate
- Public Health Service Officer
- Public Relations Professional
- Social Worker
Graduates have gone on to careers in education, the law and other sectors.
Ready to take the next step?
At Wake Forest, we have lots of good stories to share, so we hope you’ll get to know us. Browse our Viewbook to learn more.