Of the environment, for the environment.
We’re invited guests on this planet and our Office of Sustainability offers many ways for us to show we know what that means. With a special blend of innovation and common sense, this office works to support and encourage our campus and local communities in a shared mission to love the world we’re with.
How we’ve made a difference:
- 8 LEED-certified Green buildings constructed on campus since 2010
- Every 9 minutes, the Choose to Reuse program saves another disposable bottle from a landfill
- Demon Deacons rallied together in May 2014 to divert over 22,500 pounds — over 11 tons — of discarded goods from the landfill as part of Deacs Donate, an end-of-year move-out waste reduction campaign
- 46 water bottle refill stations across campus, and counting…
- We shed more than 8000 pounds…of books, by donating them to Better World Books, a champion of global literacy
- 900 meals per month provided to Winston-Salem residents through the efforts of the University’s Campus Kitchens program
- 5 forms of alternative transportation offered on campus.
- In a three-week span of March and April of 2015, students in residence halls saved 98,432 kilowatt hours of electricity in a national conservation contest. That’s enough to power a single, conventional, 40-watt bulb from now until early 2295.